Saturday, February 10, 2007

Quiet Day

. . . and so here's what I'm up to:

I'm doing my homework, reading and organizing midterm materials, for the class I'm taking on Islam. The dog is helping me by lying on the bed and snoring.

I painted my fingernails. They have been breaking off all fall and winter, a sure sign of stress and poor nutrition. The color, I have concluded, is ugly, but I don't have any nailpolish remover.

I'm basking in my success over having persuaded Gigantic University Son to get his graduation application materials in order. "The fact that you have no idea what to do next does not preclude your graduation from college!" I told him Wednesday night. He managed to file the paperwork yesterday with literally hours to spare.

I'm playing around online. Some Presbyterians are having a big pow-wow in Orlando, and I have broken my personal vow to restrain my incredibly limited personal engagement therewith. However, I am reinspired by their references to the church on which many of the rest of us expend love and devotion as "little more than a carcass consisting of real estate, endowments, sticks and stones," holding them in "theological and cultural captivity." Oh, and, apparently, close to possible "extinction." I am feeling a bit brontosaurian today, in a phoenix-ian sense of the word.

I was planning to clean my room. However, another of my new books just arrived, so the room may have to wait. The bathroom, alas, cannot. That frozen drain finally warmed up a couple of days ago, but no one has had the time or inclination to clean out the bottom of the tub since.

I'm also basking in the joy of having read much of the B.A. thesis just completed by Windy City University Son. I loved gazing at those glorious words, "Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for The Degree of Bachelor of Arts, The College of The University of Windy City."

I have to write a test on the Renaissance and Reformation. I love teaching the Renaissance. The Reformation is a bit more problematic, as the ethics of full disclosure mandate that I acknowledge the anti-Semitic vitriol of a certain leader. I try to soften the blow by pointing out his equally repugnant anti-Catholic rants, but those doesn't make me feel any better.

I will cheer myself up later by calling the Lovely Daughter, who has advised me that she is learning to hula. There are certain advantages to attending college on the west coast, not the least of which is the number of students from Hawaii, whose presence necessitates a Hawaiian club.

There are, as far as I know, no Hawaiian clubs clubs in the bleak bleak bleak midwest. One of my friends belongs to a Swedish heritage club, but that does not strike me as progress in terms of the weather aspects of life.

I can hear the sparrows in the fireplace chimney. I know why they are there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A quiet Saturday here, too. I am grading legislative bills from our SimHouse, a tedious chore because our curriculum requires these 12 year olds to do this thing which necessitates a bit more of knowledge of how our world works than they possess. So I mostly get proposals such as "build a center for all abused children in the middle of the state". So, after I get a few done, I go out and clean out the bird bath or, like you, clean my own bath. Then back to the stack. I tried to comment yesterday's entry, but without success, so I also wish you and all other creatures great and small the warmth of spring SOON. Focus on sitting in the sun at those graduations!
*debbi*

Anonymous said...

It is exactly that sort of February weekend. Stay warm. It's back into the deep freeze next week.

sunflowerkat said...

I'm dreading Adrienne facing the "what do I do next" question. She's barely coping with "what should I be doing now....?"

Anonymous said...

Your writing is so evocative that even the most basic rundown of a day in the life of...becomes interesting. And it's nice to know that we all have our weaknesses and procrastinations. At least the hula can provide some daydreaming possibilities to get us through these bleak cold days. But I noticed yesterday that the light has really returned in a significant day as the sun was directly in my eyes as I drove home at 5:30 in the afternoon! HOORAY FOR THE LIGHT!