Sunday, February 11, 2007

A New Gray Day






I have been OUTSIDE. For a long walk, a three-mile walk through the cemetery. It's cold, but it's not unbearable. And I looked at little things. I paid a lot of attention. I have been starving for that outdoor pay-attention time.

I didn't take the dog, who is also desperate to get outdoors, because I hoped to see the foxes. I didn't. But I found their prints stamped into the snow all around the hollow tree where I photographed the five kits last spring. So I am hopeful that the female lies nestled in her underground den and that the next months will bring new life there again.

I was inspired not only by the mellow temperature (15!) but by the following poem, which appeared Friday in the exquisite blog Abbey of the Arts:

I am Going to Start Living Like a Mystic
~ Edward Hirsch

Today I am pulling on a green wool sweater
and walking across the park in a dusky snowfall.
The trees stand like twenty-seven prophets in a field,
each a station in a pilgrimage–silent, pondering.
Blue flakes of light falling across their bodies
are the ciphers of a secret, an occultation.
I will examine their leaves as pages in a text
and consider the bookish pigeons, students of winter.
I will kneel on the track of a vanquished squirrel
and stare into a blank pond for the figure of Sophia.
I shall begin scouring the sky for signs
as if my whole future were constellated upon it.
I will walk home alone with the deep alone,
a disciple of shadows, in praise of the mysteries.

PS: For whatever reason, the image of the door won't enlarge. But, with a click, the other four will. The tendrils of ivy are actually over the rusted door of the mausoleum, and the bark belongs to an Austrian pine.

4 comments:

Theresa Williams said...

Beautiful photos. I just read a wonderful book by Hirsch called the Angel and the Devil: Sources of Artistic inspiration. That poem is lovely.

Anonymous said...

OUTSIDE!!!! Absolute joy.

You are hardier than I. We had the same weather but I stayed inside nice and warm while dh make a wonderful cream of mushroom soup.

Anonymous said...

It must be really bad if 15 has begun to feel tolerable! We warmed all the way to 35 today; it felt so good to wear my short parka instead of my ankle length coat! Can't wait to hear about the foxes.

sunflowerkat said...

I'm feeling that restlessness too. It's just time to get out regardless of the weather.

You, your photos and the lovely poem are an inspiration. Maybe tomorrow....
:)