Saturday, March 01, 2008

Defying Gravity - One Last Wicked Post

The music is fun, the sets and special effects are terrific, and the costuming is nothing short of spectacular.

But what I love most of all about WICKED is the thematic progression represented by Elphaba, known to us as the Wicked Witch of the West, with whom I feel such an uncanny sense of identification:

uncertainty

dreams

limitless possibility

failure

the embrace of limitation

It really is an incredible musical.

And while The Lovely Daughter showed me the mystery of youtube embedding when she was here over Christmas, I have completely forgotten how to do it, and I can't figure it out. But if you go here, you can see a performance of Defying Gravity with Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel, who are themselves nothing short of spectacular.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I love this song from Wicked. Made me cry again today listening to it. Thanks for the link.

Stratoz said...

if this wave of posts had come earlier, I may have signed up for a bus trip my workplace tried to organize.

Kris said...

But did you read the book?
I have been reading the sequel Son Of A Witch for about a year now ...it is in a place I don't do much reading.. And it is adding yet another layer to the world of OZ. I also read the re-worked version of Cinderella ... Wicked so far has been the best.
It still amazes me the transition from Wizard of Oz, to Wicked the book .. then Wicked the play .. Wow!