Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Here's the Deal

I am ridiculously happy. I love that I am in seminary. I love that I am studying spiritual direction. I can hardly believe that my life is where it is.

But it's 1:00 am and I've been more or less doing Greek since 3:00 this afternoon. With a break to copy some other material I should have also read, and a shorter break to finish my application for CPE this summer. Otherwise: Greek. I ran into my professor as the library was closing and she spent half an hour trying to help me sort out the muddle I've made, but it's pretty hopeless. And people keep saying: Are you doing participles yet? The ominous dark hour before dawn still lies ahead.

So here's what I would say if I were going to blog for the next four weeks, which apparently I'm not:

Life is good.

Greek, not so much.

Oh, and one more thing. After six years of teaching in a Jewish school, I tend to avoid using Jewish texts to anticipate the events related in Christian texts. But I do make an exception, and the time for making it is just about here:

Isaiah 9:2.

Carry on, and immerse yourselves in Advent.

11 comments:

more cows than people said...

ahhh... been there... people make too much of whatever is coming next in greek. one day at a time. one day at a time. you can do it. you will do it. you are doing it.

here's a thought that may or may not help- i was pretty much lost for my first two quarters of greek. big bummer because hebrew had gone so well. but... i took a third quarter and did great!

muddle on... it is worth it.

so glad you're ridiculously happy. that makes me happy.

Althea N. Agape said...

For the yoke of their burden, and the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor,

Greek.

You WILL get through.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Like "More Cows" said...one foot in front of the other...just keep showing up.

Lori said...

How great that you are so happy!!

Law+Gospel said...

Hang in there! Do not despair! If I would write in a Greek font, I would also demonstrate the imperative- Do not Fear! I just took my final ( as in done!) this week- I have lived to tell. Feel free to email me if you have a question- it is still in mind and has not leaked out yet!

Magdalene6127 said...

How wonderful... I loved that part of seminary, the full immersion and the 1 AM translating. I really did!

You'll do it. Blessings.

Jan said...

Just one step at a time, and you'll finish! Glad you're happy and have given us such nice wishes for Advent.

Diane M. Roth said...

like what you said about the OT texts... my exception is (kind of) Isaiah 53, which I read in a both/and way. I base the Christian reading on its interpretation in Acts, but know there is another, important one before it.

Diane M. Roth said...

and... hang in there!

know it's tough...but as MC said, it's worth it.

Law+Gospel said...

Hey GG! Take a study break and come out and play- I tagged you for a Christmas meme over at my place!

Katherine E. said...

It' wonderful that you're ridiculously happy, GG. That makes me smile!