Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Transportation (Round Robin Photo Challenge), or. . . Iona V

OK, so I'm cheating, just a little. The subject of the current Round Robin Photo Challenge is Transportation, and a ferry is, indeed, one of my favorite forms of transportation ~ because the destinations that require ferry transport are my favorite destinations. Hence the first photo, of the ferry that runs between the Hebrides islands of Iona and Staffa.

The reamining images are of Staffa as one first sees it (it's actually much longer than it is wide); the volcanic rock formations that many visitors go to see, formations mirrored across the sea on Ireland and, therefore, the basis of a story involving a mythological Giant's Causeway across the Irish Sea; the most important residents of Staffa; and the seals who watched us come and go. Most of the photos enlarge reasonably well with a click.








15 comments:

Virginia said...

Puffins and seals....! How wonderful! For me that would be the best part of the trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace, Virginia

Anonymous said...

puffins and seals would be so cool to see not in a zoo.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Ohhh... how beautiful! I love puffins, and the landscapes here are so dramatic! I think it's wonderfully apprepriate to show both the form of transportation and the wonderful sights found while riding it. :)

Anonymous said...

ooh I love the foggy shot!

Unknown said...

great pics. I love the puffins and the ferry.

Carly said...

I enjoy riding the Ferry from Oakland to SF. It's a great way to relax. :) Cool puffins and seal. Well done!

Always, Carly

Anonymous said...

Once again, amazing pics! I don't think I will ever tire of seeing them!!

Dornbrau said...

Beautiful pictures, and what an awesome trip!

Paul said...

I liked the prow of the boat so much that I set it as my desktop background. Do I owe you any money?

Gannet Girl said...

Well, do you have a photo of your Coracle that I can use?

Anonymous said...

I love that mist-shrouded picture!

Anonymous said...

i love the puffins! wonderful picture!

alphawoman said...

Wow those are some great photo's! (as always)

Anonymous said...

the puffins look stuffed! they're so adorable.

Meg

Globetrotter said...

Such magnificent images, Robin. The dark moody coast behind the ferry...breathtaking! The ferry with the red accent against that background is begging to be painted.

Those puffins couldn't be real!