Friday, August 04, 2006

I Wish I Were Better At This

One and one-half years ago I made a three-year-commitment to something that matters tremendously to me.

In the past few days an opportunity has opened up for me to do something that could be one of the most joyful and expansive experiences of my life, and probably change it completely, and for the better.

Of course, it would require a one-year commitment that conflicts, day-and-time-wise, exactly with the first commitment. And no, it is not something I could do at a later date. Maybe, but probably not.

Last night, before I found out about the conflict, I was so happy that my feet were barely touching the ground.

Today, trying to sort it out, by seeking advice and trying to work through a discernment process from beginning to end, has been miserable.

I would like to be at peace about this, one way or another.

13 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Could it be that this new commitment is a natural progression of the previous one?

I hate like hell to pull out of things, myself. But, when we get to be the age we are, we pretty much have to grab the opportunities as they come. We don't always have the luxury of waiting until opportunities are convenient.

Does this help at all? :-]

Cynthia said...

Robin, you've got my prayers. This is a tough decision.

Anonymous said...

Go for what will change your life for the better. You've already spent a lifetime putting others before yourself. Now it's your turn.

Anonymous said...

I hope you find peace with your choice by day's end.
Marian

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you, my friend.
J~

Anonymous said...

I think that the words 'joyful and expansive experiences of my life' would lead me down the path!

Waterfall said...

I have to agree with Tess. All the best as you come to a decision.

Anonymous said...

Unless the repercussions of leaving your current 3-year commitment are too great to overlook, follow your heart. The choice of words you used to describe this new opportunity make it sound like a VERY worthwhile venture. To tell you to follow your heart is only slightly trite!

Jody Harrington said...

This is a tough situation, indeed. I have to second those who advised you that your reaction before learning of the conflict probably indicates something important for your discernment.

I'm in the middle of a similar dilemma right now,so I'll pray for both of us.

sunflowerkat said...

You have got to pick the path that will give you the most full and meaningful life possible. Opportunities are gifts. You certainly don't want to be looking back someday with regrets.

betty said...

I hope you find peace in this and a way to make both work

betty

Anonymous said...

You will be at peace with it. Rely on and trust in your wisdom. It sounds like you have many opportunities which can be a struggle for discernment but much preferable to closed doors.

Anonymous said...

Hoping your decision brings you peace

Meg