Friday, August 11, 2006

From Chartres to Sheep


After two days in Chartres, we returned to Paris, where we did some of the exploring I've already pictured. At the end of our travels, my husband headed back to the U.S. and I flew to Glasgow to meet the rest of the group from my church, twelve of us in all, who would be spending the next week with the Iona Community in Scotland. There are at least as many sheep as there are people on the Hebrides island of Iona -- more on them and on the rest of our experience next week!
*********************
European Travel Update:
Son made it from Athens to Vienna to Barcelona. Athens and Vienna airports are calm and he was permitted to carry hand luggage and to keep his cell phone. Travelers to the U.K. and the U.S. are not allowed to carry anything with them except wallets and glasses cases, so after he calls me from Valencia tonight I won't hear from him again until he has cleared U.S. Customs. His only problem was unrelated to the terrorist threat: 4 ATMs in the Barcelona airport were out of cash and the fifth ate his card! Luckily, he found a repairman, but that was a two-hour process, causing him to miss his train to Valencia. So he will get there about midnight and snooze in the airport, since he needs to be there at 5:00 am anyway.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still loving your pictures! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah to be young and have that kind of adventure. Your son is fortunate even during the misadventures.

Anonymous said...

yay for safe travels.

Anonymous said...

Yet more beautiful photos. Glad to hear that your son's travels have been relatively uneventful thus far. My own children are flying in the next few days and I'm more than a little anxious about it.

Theresa Williams said...

Love that sheep!

Anonymous said...

While I have been getting ready for the first day of school on Monday, you have been incredibly prolific, posting more wondrous photos! I am drooling over all the incredible angles. Most beautiful! Wandered through the cathedral and town with you several times, and the sheep is a charmer. The ATM story ranks as one of the more amazing travel stories--and we've all heard our share. Hope he gets home safe and sound. My dd takes off for her year in Moscow and I'll be in your shoes.
*debbi*

Anonymous said...

You are an incredible woman. Lovin' it. Ellyn

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's on his way home, hope the rest of the trip is uneventful

Meg

Paul said...

Your two locations are even more dramatically different than my London-Scotland experience.