Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ways to Heal

A seminary friend of mine said something wonderful to me this afternoon.

I was describing the process by which I had decided to go ahead and try to take a required homiletics (preaching, for those of you not immersed in ministry-ese) course next quarter. A demanding course that presumes something in the way of optimism. I had had lunch with the professor a couple of weeks ago so that I could explore his expectations and convey a little of the reality of my own situation. (The one in which, for instance, I can't remember anything five minutes after reading or hearing it.)

It might actually help you
, said my friend.

Yeah, that's what the professor said, and that's what he said
, I responded, jabbing my thumb in the direction of another classmate.

Well
, she said, you'll be studying and preparing and giving expression to the Word. How could that not be healing?

If you're reading, thank you for that. It was worth our both being late to wherever we were going.

Cross-Posted at Desert Year.

4 comments:

Jan said...

What wisdom. So glad you decided to do this. Plus, I love your picture on Facebook.

Lori said...

As in "healer heal thyself"....as you are creating healing for others....

Amazing.

Joan Calvin said...

You are always in my prayers.

More and more my preaching is to me. I think it is an honest exposition of the Word, but it's what I need to hear. (It's unconscious or the Holy Spirit.)

Terri said...

Much wisdom in that...as one who has been preaching for 11 years....may it be a place for the Word to speak through you and bring some healing...