Sunday, February 22, 2009

Upcoming Lent



For the past couple of years, I've made a point of observing Lent, mostly in an interior way. It doesn't coincide with a commercial season -- no way to confuse messages and activities as we do in December. (Although this year, given the bleak economic news day after day, might present a new opportunity. Not one that the retailers would find appealing, however.) I'm not part of a church that does Lent in a big way -- my own congregation is celebrating Shrove Tuesday with a pancake supper and then Ash Wednesday with a communion service with the imposition of ashes, and offering three Taize/Iona music services on Wednesday nights -- all good, but not a particular focus on daily attentiveness to the season. And unfortunately I won't be in town for them -- but I think that I can participate in something similar at a church near my school. I don't recall Lent garnering much of a mention at the seminary itself last year. I suppose I could have missed it.

Lent is the season for which I have longed for nearly six months. It's the season I've been in for nearly six months. I'm glad it's upon us. Easter looks to be pretty rough, but Lent I can manage.

So I'm changing the blog colors (very subtly on the other blog - desert is desert) -- slowly -- and adding some links -- and . . . some other things. On the outside, I'm participating, as a presenter and as a spiritual director, in a few different Lenten retreat opportunities. On the inside, I sense a healthy and holy turning toward hope. In a small way.

I'm grateful that Lent is a L-O-N-G season.




(Image of Chartres Cathedral found
here.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GG, thank you for the lent links over on the sidebar. I'm gonna take advantage of this calendar time to re-focus/re-adjust/sink into who knows what... something. Don't seem to have a handle on the language. You've seen the movie, The Passion? You know that part where Jesus is just starting the walk with the cross and Mary spots Satan across the way? She looks at him for a short bit and then her glance moves seamlessly and unaffectedly from him back to Jesus where it remains fixed. Something like that for lent.

Mich

Gannet Girl said...

Well, no, I haven't seen it - but I hope the links are helpful to you.

Anonymous said...

I've bookmarked them. Thanks again. Here I go...

About The Passion; it's a very very rough ride, GG.

Mich

Gannet Girl said...

I did see parts of it. But I spent a good deal of time that year trying to convince my Jewish students that Mel Gibson and by extension Christians in general did not hate them. I didn't want to put any money in that man's pocket. He did a lot of damage withn that one. I guess I have strong feelings about a movie I haven't really watched.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm still mulling over what my focus will be for Lent this year. I guess I'll just have to listen and see what God reveals to me.

Anonymous said...

Yes, G, that was a heck of a mess he got himself into with that one. I saw the movie before that particular you-know-what hit the fan. Interesting how there are a lot of squirrely people making some amazing art...

Mich