Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Gannet Gift



A gift from Stushie.

Now, if this gannet is off the coast of North America, it is flying into the sunrise; if off the coast of Scotland, into the sunset. It has been my joy to watch gannets from both vantage points and I have decided that in my both/and life, which these days is more intensely both/and than ever before, this particular gannet is flying both ways at once.

Stushie is, I think, a bit less both/and than I am. But this is what happens when you release a gift, whether of words or art or music or birds: others embrace meanings you had perhaps not imagined. And perhaps all manner of things shall be well. I am grateful for the hint of that possibility, as unlikely as it seems.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I read in the bird guide left by the chairs in the dining room at Eastern Point (complete with binoculars!) that gannets look like a crucifix when they fly....

Gannet Girl said...

That must have been some bird guide.

Jan said...

This is beautiful. Thank you.

Stushie said...

I love your interpretation of the gannet flying towards both the sunrise and sunset.

Thanks for graciously receiving the gift.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is a really beautiful gift to receive.