Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Update

Me? I've been pretty sick. Yesterday was the first time in two weeks that I felt like a human being, and I have walked three miles each of the last two days, but my head is still full of gar-bage. The fact that I have made an actual appointment with an actual doctor means things are bad indeed, or at least dragging out far too long. I'm not sure when this aversion of mine to medical offices developed, but I'd better not turn into an old person with health problems -- one more visit than the two mammograms a year I've been having (because of all the ones I postponed) is one visit too many.

Family? Okay. Sons here and gone from spring break. Son's dental crisis resolved for the time being. Major Life Decisions happening all around me. I don't seem to be of much help. Grandmother turned 100 while my head was in a fog; slept all the way to her party in Cincinnati and all the way back.

Work? A quiet disaster. Try not grading papers for two weeks because every time you try to concentrate your brain swims away. The pile looks almost insurmountable. I may have made a major mistake in another work realm but I don't know because I can't remember. I seem to have taught a lot of stuff about the American Revolution and the Russian Revolution while my brain was otherwise not engaged.

My house? Oh my. It's a good thing spring break is almost upon us. The cat's problems have resulted in two areas rugs tossed out in as many days. I can't figure out how to use the new printer's copy function. I can't figure out how I scanned that picture of my grandmother. I'm hoping that I haven't misplaced the taxes, which are done but certainly not paid.

Mary Winkler? I am still obsessed with her case. I read the Jackson Sun and The Tennessean online every day now. And -- almost forgot! -- the highlight of being sick: I have discovered bimbo sensationalist prosecutor Nancy Grace on CNN. I can't decide which is better -- her appalling hair, her atrocious makeup, her dramatic poses, her slimy questions, or her calculated interruptions of guests who don't meet her ratings needs. I knew I was really, really, really sick when I watched Dr. Phil one afternoon, so I am grateful to Nancy Grace for having provided me with the diversion of a whole new level of trash televison. She is an embarrassment to the bar, but let me tell you: Steve Farese is The Man.

So that's my life. I'm going to try to get back to some blog reading and, eventually, writing -- in a while. But first I have to wean myself from Nancy Grace.

And does anyone know why all of a sudden I can't space between paragraphs?

11 comments:

Virginia said...

Oh my. I hope you are on the mend and are getting a lot of TLC from your family.

Peace, Virginia

Anonymous said...

Oh, Robin. Your life sounds like it's in dire need of a vacation right now. As for Nancy Grace, I can't stand her and I agree that she gives the bar a bad name. Then again, this from a woman who sat in the US Supreme Court last week to hear oral arguments. Fascinating stuff.
Take care of yourself.

Lisa :-] said...

RE: paragraph spacing--go into your "edit html" tab of the entry screen. You should be able to add spaces between the paragraphs there.

Sorry you've been ill. Hope the spring weather will chase out those germs and cobwebs. :-]

alphawoman said...

I am so sorry to hear you are so ill. I was reading another blog yesterday where he was describing a "virus" that was flu-like but not the flu and knocked him for a loop too. Hope you are back in short time.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better!

emmapeelDallas said...

I have the same aversion to medical offices and especially to doctors, but sometimes they're essential. Also, I agree with you about Nancy Grace, but I have to say, the appalling hair, atrocious make-up, dramatic poses and slimy questions aspect seems to apply to many of the "reporters", male and female, that I see on television these days, which is yet another reason that I prefer to read my news (not that reading it is without it's own set of problems). I'm sorry that you've been sick and hope you feel better soon. I miss your posts.

Judi

Paul said...

Oooohhhh, you do get edgy when you're sick. Me likey.

Anonymous said...

Apparently being ill has not had a negative impact on your writing ability. I hope you feel better soon.

Keep me posted on Mary Winkler. I haven't had time to look but am intrigued. I'm knee deep in unfinished projects here too. The bad part is that spring break will mean children home from school and no catching up at all. The good part is that I'm much looking forward to spending time with them.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel much better soon. There's nothing like being sick to slow you down. I like Nancy Grace! She really plays it up for the cameras on her television show but she has an interesting personal story and strong convictions.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel human again soon, at least in time for spring break.
Marian

Bedazzzled1 said...

Sick or not, you are damn amusing!

That bug has been attacking tons of people. I am surprised I have not turned into a recluse to avoid coming in contact with the nasty critter. I, too, despise going to the doctor. Seems the medicines they dispense to help you get well make you feel sicker than the ailment.

Get well soon. (Oh, Maryanne "introduced" me to Nancy Grace. ::chuckle:: Uh, I agree with you about her.)