Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter VII



4:30 pm ~

Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord."
(John 20:18)

Mary Magdalene, the first preacher in the Christian church. Sometimes called the Apostle to the Apostles.

When I went to the sunrise service this morning, hosted by four Methodist churches in the cemetery where I so often walk, I still had Mary Magdalene on my mind.

And then it turned out that all four pastors officiating at the service were women. Two African-American, one Korean, one WASP -- all women.

Their presence seemed particularly meaningful to me today.

3 comments:

Judith HeartSong said...

I haven't thought about sunrise services in a long long time. Thank you. judi

Anonymous said...

I hope to do a sunrise service at some point. I assumed but also marvelled that the picture you posted was yours - today.

At Good Friday services at our Roman Catholic church, the female pastoral associate carried the cross in to the church. Some of the older members of the congregation were clearly shocked but I was delighted.

Women had a huge role in the early church. I need to loan you a book published locally on these seemingly irrelevant but conceptually important biblical women.

Cynthia said...

I miss women ministers so much, and how appropriate that they led your sunrise service today.