Friday, April 28, 2006

In the Middle of Life

I don't know what it is about a trail, but they all seem to be in the habit of calling, "Come on, come on!" My two-week vacation when all of my children are away at school isn't good for much beyond clearing out the house and grading papers ~ and following a compelling call to get outside. Hence, our little trip to Harper's Ferry. We stayed overnight at a modest but pleasant little resort outside Berkeley Springs, which is a fun and funky and artsy little town, and we had a fabulous meal overlooking the Blue Ridge at Panorama at the Peak. If you're within an hour or so of Washington, D.C. and you want a little week-end break, or just a wonderfully peaceful, elegant, and scrumptious dinner, follow all the links.

That earlier entry's view of Harper's Ferry came from those rocks in the photograph below; you have to hike up above them and take a series of switchbacks down. My only two comments are that (1) the view is worth it and (2) I won't be taking any long distance hikes until this body is completely re-formed.


8 comments:

Globetrotter said...

I had no idea that such wonderful opportunities for hiking and fabulous photo-ops existed so close to Washington. A lot of good it does me, finding out about it now when I am a thousand miles away.

The dinner sounded like a wonderful reward after a hike that looked challenging as hell.

Paul said...

When you can combine physical exertion in a beautiful setting with an elegant dinner with a view, that's a vacation.

Virginia said...

Yes, the call of a path is welcoming and wonderful.

Peace, Virginia

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos... makes me want to pack up the car and take a spur of the moment weekend trip! Stacy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. I was not sure the best way to answer back from you comments on my blog. The only thing that unites Baptists into a group is they all adhere to the Baptist Faith and Message http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/humpty/120027/#c234352
and when doing that, they can join the Cooperative Program by giving a percentage of their tithes to this huge and very successful Baptist missions organization. That's it!

Anonymous said...

The weather lately has been calling me outside constantly. I feel better when I've spent a large portion of the day without a roof over my head.

Theresa Williams said...

I really love the photograph of the path.

V said...

Coolfont looks terrific.
V