Friday, February 19, 2010

An Ordinary Day


This is one of them: I went up to the bakery/coffee shop, came home with an orange juice and a chocolate croissant, and settled back into bed to work on Sunday evening's service for the East Indian group that meets at our church. They want leftover love and valentines; I want Lent. So I am going to offer a short meditation on the daily examen as a spiritual practice that engages us with the love of God.

I cleaned the main bathroom and got started on the laundry, which I returned to off and on all day.
Spent an hour reviewing one of the texts for next week's final.

In the middle of the day, in honor of, according to the paper, the first sunny day since the solstice, I went out for a walk in the cemetery, where the roads are fairly clear. The sky was BLUE. Anyone remember that? Between the snow and the fact that I have barely been out-of-doors for two weeks, it was a slow and laborious walk!


After my gourmet lunch of Ramen noodles, I settled in for some reading of the Reformed scholastics. Not an easy crew, those guys. I have reached the point in the 1600s where they are in a big debate over free will with the Jesuits. You'd think I'd enjoy that, right? But the truth is that I have no idea what either side is saying.


I've reached the tv stage now. The Quiet Husband is out at soccer practice, Gregarious Son is at work, and The Lovely Daughter and I are watching
What Not To Wear.

And pieces of news today: I may have a new directee who wants to make the Ignatian
Exercises, one of my favorite things to do. The Lovely Daughter got a second social work school acceptance. (!)

Tomorrow should be another ordinary day. I'm very good with that.




(Image: Cemetery Walk)

3 comments:

Karen said...

ordinary is good--kind of a throwback to the "assumptive life", though it's gone forever--still, just a nice bit of routine. So glad to hear it.

Terri said...

ordinary days are good...now, if I can just remember what one is like...LOL...(or is this now my new ordinary?)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thank God for bright blue skies in later winter. They are so heartening.