Sunday, May 18, 2008

Life as an Unkempt Nonentity

One of my friends has been selling silver jewelry via the house party plan, and yesterday she hosted just such an event for the purpose of going out of business. Wanting to support her efforts and thinking that she might have a little something that would make a nice welcome-home gift for the Lovely Daughter (eleven days, but who's counting?), I stopped by for a bit.

"I just don't seem to have any sense of style about jewelry," said another of her customers as she tried on a necklace. "I'm sure I could wear more than one piece at a time but truthfully, I wear almost none. I don't seem to know what to do with it."

"Ahhh..." I sighed. "You live here in Hippie City? Have you noticed that other women in the world are more, uh --"

"Put together?" she suggested.

"Exactly," I said.

***************************************

One of the doctors at church offers a blood pressure check most Sundays after the service. Blood pressure having become something to which I need to be attentive, I usually stop by. And when I do, I wait in the doorway of the room where he is working, trying to stay out of view and earshot of whomever else he might be talking with.

Today, for the second week in a row, as he finally finished up with the person ahead of me, someone else, not someone waiting behind me but someone who had been nowhere in sight, sailed in from the hallway, brushed right past me, rolled up her sleeve, and announced that she was ready.

What am I, the doorstop?
I wondered.

*****************************************

And now what I want to know is: are these two things related?

10 comments:

Paul said...

You can't leave me openings like this. I'm trying to be good.

Gannet Girl said...

Pffffffft.

Once a Northfield girl, always a Northfield girl.

Jody Harrington said...

So is this a hint that you want me to nominate you for What Not to Wear???

Stratoz said...

I think you are in need of a warbler visit

Gannet Girl said...

QG: And that question comes from the RevGal with the light up sweaters?

Jody Harrington said...

GG--
Ha!

Those sweaters are only kept for wear at Ugly Sweater Parties. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Paul said...

Northfield? Isn't that right next to Satan's Kingdom?

Gannet Girl said...

My Choate-y cousin, when I suggested Northfield for his daughter, said, "The girls there don't shave their legs!"

So yes,right next to the abode of Satan.

Law+Gospel said...

I tagged you for a meme over at my place. You can wear whatever you like and no one will comment and no one will pass you by. It might lower your blood pressure. ;)

Anonymous said...

If you were put together, you would be boring. Similar too "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?"

We all like you the way you are which should lower your blood pressure substantially.