Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Apollo ** 1999 ~ 2006

They were here on Sunday, floating in triplicate on the cemetery pond. Three western grebes. I have never seen western grebes before, not anywhere. Huge, elegant, graceful.

I was up most of the night with Apollo. A little heap of bones, covered with still soft fur. Breath and purr audible only to an ear nestled against her neck. Go ahead, I told her.
The grebes have come for you.

She left us the next day, on the wings of the birds from the west.

15 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

I'm so sorry, GG. Your post was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

She looks like a cocoa tabby, exactly like my cat. How nice to be able to leave this world purring, however quietly.
Peace to you both,
*debbi*

Anonymous said...

The breath and the purr toghether: that phrase made me so sad. So sorry you have lost your pet. leenora58

Lisa :-] said...

Beautiful. Rest in peace, Ms. Apollo. :-]

Cynthia said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Cuidado said...

Oh my, I so feel your loss. Cat love is like no other. My Clarke has been missing for one month, six days and I'm still devestated. My deepest condolences

Paul said...

Sorry, Robin.

emmapeelDallas said...

Me too, I am so sorry.

Judi

sunflowerkat said...

Oh Robin...I'm so sorry. Your entry lets us clearly feel how deeply Apollo was loved.

daringtowrite said...

What a sad loss. My heart aches for you.

Virginia said...

I hope Apollo flew free with the birds.

Sorry for your loss.

Peace, Virginia

Anonymous said...

RIP Apollo. {{{}}}
-Marian

Anonymous said...

RIP, Apollo.

Anonymous said...

Apollo was a very pretty cat. I'm so sorry she's gone.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry.