Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Favorite Christmas Music

Another idea from Patrick, this one the Sunday Seven -- what are your favorite Christmas songs? He starts with suggestions from the ASCAP list, few of which do a thing for me. Most popular Christmas music is just Something That Must Be Endured, in the stores and when I'm flipping radio stations. In fact the other night, en route to the airport for the second time in as many days, I was overcome with ADHD and changing stations every few seconds, so I had a real taste of just how much dreadful stuff is out there. Why does every popular recording start feel the need to produce a really bad Christmas album?

Guess you can tell that this grinch isn't easily moved into a Christmas frame of mind. But this topic did get me moving, however slowly, toward my own stack of CDs; with less than two weeks to go, I really should be more Christmas-functional at this point.

Herewith, in no particular order, my favorites:

O, Holy Night

Sing We Noel (Dost Thou Remember) - the processional from my boarding school days, which I have only ever heard of being performed at Northfield Mount Hermon School, Mount Holyoke College, and my present church (yes, I am in posession of the sheet music and I CD, but I can;t find the muisc online)

There Shall a Star Come Out From From Jacob (Mendelssohn)

What Child Is This?

Once in Royal David's City -- as sung for Lessons and Carols, beginning with a child's high-pitched solo and reaching the fourth verse with a crescendo of full choirs and kettledrums

And Every Stone Shall Cry












No comments: