Monday, October 01, 2007

Lisa's Last Week

Yesterday, in a nod to the criticism some of his readers have directed his way, the creator of the Funky Winkerbean comic strip acknowledged, through his characters, that Lisa's cancer story has not been funny. Last summer, a number of readers begged for a miracle for Lisa, but Tom Batiuk had long ago made the decision that hers would be the other kind of cancer story. The kind that calls for courage of a different order.

Today
, even the blackest humor has entirely disappeared.

I know that a lot of people are disturbed by the turn the comic has taken. They DO want humor over their morning coffeee, before they have to take on the challenges of their own lives.

But I think this storyline is a real gift. Lisa and Les are so fragile, and so brave -- so filled with grace.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just followed the link and read the last two weeks of strips. I love that her dh is so real with her. It's interesting to watch the range of interactions.

Jan said...

I'm glad you're sharing Funky with us, because my newspaper doesn't carry it. I think it's honorable and a community service for the cartoon to be going this way. Thanks.

Terri said...

Yes, I agree. Very touching. I'm grateful he is doing this, and so well.

Anonymous said...

I was unable to get the link in your blog to open but read today's strip in my own paper. Tears were pouring down my face. So real. This subject is being handled in an absolutely beautiful and sensitive way. If there are Pulitzer Prizes for comic strips, he deserves one.

Anonymous said...

Amen on Lisa's Last Week. I wandered down to read your earlier posts and was especially drawn to your discussion on blogging (Thursday, the 20th of Sept.) I am most appreciative of your description of Gannets and searching the sea. So powerful. I will have to search your archives for reflections on Iona. Have you been able to take a boat either from Iona or Oban to Staffa to see Mendelsohn's Cave and the Puffins?

Gannet Girl said...

Yes, there are puffin pictures from Staffa on my blog -- look under Iona!