Friday, December 15, 2006

Vent Rant I Can't Stand It Whatever

I don't know what on earth I am going to do if I ever get really sick. Cancer or something. That little trip to the ER a couple of months ago? OK, I was in unbelieveable agony and so I am glad there was someone there to shoot me up with something. I'm equally glad they told me to go home four hours and $1400 later. But the regular kind of medical visit? COUNT ME OUT.

I have just had my third experience in the past six months of waiting over an hour to see a doctor for something that, once the MD-person actually materialized, took all of 15 minutes. Today it was a new gynecologist. I was forced into making an in-person appearance because I need a mammogram and, therefore, a prescription for same. (With my doc of the past 20+ years, a phone call was sufficient. I did go to see him on occasion, but I stretched the guidelines to the outermost limit and then some. I figure he agreed with me that we spent enough time together during the two days it took the Lovely Daughter to get here.)

This new doc was very nice and I am sure she is an excellent physician. I was sort of looking forward to beginning a new relationship with a doctor, since I am reaching That Age Where Things Change and, with my tried and true OB leaving the scene, it would be nice to develop a sense of confidence in someone else.

Not likely.

When a doctor is already more than an hour behind when she sees you, she isn't looking for the drama or stories a medical history reveals. Overdue twins? A vbac at a time when 95% of women were signed up for a repeat section, no questions asked? A major surgery and a minor one? All old, old stories. I myself am passionate about stories and what they reveal about the characters therein. Mine tend to reveal someone with something of a stubborn streak. Someone who might lie to get what she wants. But, as I said, they're old stories.

However, what about that little rise in blood pressure? What about those one or two little nagging concerns you mention? What about the fact that, if the doctor paid attention, she could easily see that you are working on practically a hypnotic trance to get yourself through this little visit?

I hate it. I HATE GOING TO THE DOCTOR. I cannot think of one single thing about a doctors' office or a hospital that I find remotely tolerable.

I'm thinking that my good health is a precious thing, indeed, and I'd better stay this way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you. HATE doctors. I rarely go. I was supposed to get my annual mammogram in August but, like you, I have to get a prescription. I basically don't have a doctor, so a friend recommended hers. I got an appointment -- for February -- and that's just with the physician's assistant. Sigh. I'm lucky I haven't had any health issues, and I need to start taking care of myself again.

Anonymous said...

You don't even want to get me started. I could fill a blog daily with a neverending rant against doctors and hospitals.

Virginia said...

It is hard to have a visit with a doctor where I don't come out feeling like a piece of meat . . .

Peace, Virginia

Anonymous said...

"Health care professionals who do not care..." I wrote this line just few days ago.

The "health care" system in this coutry is broken. Perhaps it will never be fixed. At least not in OUR lifetimes. And this is what the "Baby Boomers" have to look forward to...

emmapeelDallas said...

I hate doctors too. I've been taking all of us to a family practitioner here in Dallas for a little over 20 years, so imagine my surprise when I went in a couple of years ago with the flu and had to give them all my information again. "We have no record of you," the receptionist said. I was indignant, but dutifully completed the voluminous paperwork. Eventually I found out why they had no record of me: although I'd been in regularly with each of the kids, it had been over 7 years since I'd paid them a visit myself, and my records had been shipped to archives...I think that sort of says it all.

Judi