Friday, March 19, 2010

Eighteen-Plus Months

Sometimes I still need to write over here, in relative anonymity.

Still in the house tonight. The Quiet Husband went out of town to visit his family for the day, Gregarious Son is at work, and The Lovely Daughter is over the the house of the new man in her life.

I was thinking, earlier, about another spring, 2001. Once the kids started school, we always spent the last two weeks of March in St. Augustine, so tonight we were probably packing up. I looked at the photos from that year - they all look so young! The Lovely Daughter and friends in their middle school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, performed right before spring break; the boys, tenth graders, in soccer and high school t-shirts; all of them in the pool in Florida late at night and on the beach all day.

It was a great life.

I knew it was a great life. So much more than I could have ever imagined. So much love and laughter, so much energy and humor.

So much lost.

9 comments:

Laurie - Lolo So Retro said...

I can't imagine the pain. It is good to know and remember that you did realize how good it was when you had it. But you still have so much good, surrounding an enormous hole in your heart and your life. {{{}}}

Anonymous said...

Oh GG, there are days when the bitter and sweet are inextricably intertwined. But the loss, the pain is always there.

I offer you my prayers today.

Magdalene6127 said...

No words, only love.

Karen said...

so much lost...so sad...so sorry. A prayer for comfort for 18 months of loss. Hugs and love.

Sarah S-D said...

((((((gg))))))

Mary Beth said...

(((((you)))))

Althea N. Agape said...

((GG))

Lisa :-] said...

I was here before...didn't comment.

But I just wanted you to know. I was (am) here.

Gberger said...

Tears sting my eyes when I read this, because we feel the same way. It was a GREAT life, we loved it, we worked at it - and for it - and, as Gregg said today, It went to sh*t. We love each other, we are still a family, but THAT life is indeed gone. I am so sorry for your loss. XOXO