Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Life I Was Meant For

I am away for the week at a program for teachers, paid for (including stipends) by corporate sponsors who want to improve economic education in the United States. The program itself, taught by luminaries in the field who also happen to be terrific communicators, is outstanding. But here's what's important:

I have a sparklingly clean hotel room with a queen-sized bed JUST FOR ME, a tv and remote JUST FOR ME, and my son's laptop, JUST FOR ME.

Someone makes the bed and cleans the bathroom and stacks up fresh towels every morning, and that someone is NOT me.

When I emerge from said bathroom, no cat litter sticks to my damp feet, and no dog needs to go out. (Well, she probably does need to go out, but someone else will have to take her.)

There is a hot tub downstairs, where I have just spent more than an hour in uninterrupted adult conversation.

My favorite parts so far: the chocolate pudding for desert and the huge soft soft soft white towels.

Hmmmm. I can't figure out how to highlight on the lapttop so I can fix the font. Downside to everything, I guess.

PS (Friday night): Home again. Font figured out. College town decimated by storms last night -- downed trees all over the place and no power in hotel last night or in classroom building today. Terrible earache tonight. Son en route to Spain tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your all expenses paid vacation. It's nice to be pampered on occasion!

Lisa :-] said...

Right "click" with one hand, and use your other hand on the finger pad (or whatever they call it) to drag.

The kitty litter thing is why I always wear shoes in my house...LOL! Glad you are enjoying yourself.

Cynthia said...

This sounds heavenly. On my last adult only trip, I honestly didn't know what I enjoyed more, the beach, the day spa or the pricacy of a clean, well maintained room (minus my labor) room just for me.

Anonymous said...

I have spent only one night alone in a hotel (due to a cancelled flight)and it was wonderful! An entire room to myself for the whole night.... amazing. Enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect break after a busy school year. Enjoy!
Marian

Anonymous said...

It's good to be you!
J~

emmapeelDallas said...

I can relate to every single thing you've written here.

Have fun!

Judi

Anonymous said...

One of the things I miss most about work is travel. I'm glad you are enjoying your time away.