Friday, January 16, 2009

Book-Ends

At a time in my life when I have not been much of a friend to anyone, a time when I am at best vaguely conscious of trying not to suck up all the air around me, I was startled and honored to receive the Friends Award from Kate, Diane, and Purple:

"The Friends Award isn't about being the most popular blogger or having the most read blog. It is just because you consider the author a friend. These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

This is a hard one -- eight means a lot of links to cut-and-paste. I'm focusing on some of my longterm blogging friends, and thinking that maybe I need to invent my own award for the new ones. A number of people have shown up here in the past few months and some have stuck around, and I've been very grateful for their support. So maybe in a few weeks... .

But for now: mostly old and not-quite-so-old friends:

Lisa at
Coming to Terms ~ perhaps my blogging friend of longest standing; we discovered one another back in the early days of the old AOL journals and found an instant rapport.

Kat at Walk with Me ~ another AOL-er with whom I felt an immediate connection: the walks, the photos, the birds, the family.

Judi at Judith HeartSong: An Artsy Blog ~ artist exraordinaire; somehow in the move I lost track of her but I've been getting re-aquainted with her wonderful work and the story of courage and resilience behind it.

Cynthia at Sorting the Pieces ~ as I make this list, I realize that AOL brought me the friendship of women of extraordinary grit and beauty, inside and out, and Cynthia is another whose responses to the lousy hands life deals leaves me astounded and grateful to know her.

Known as Joan Calvin at PresbyOpia ~ one of my newest blogging friends, and I'm going to offer her a friendship award, since we've recently met in real life and discovered how many things we share.

Quotidian Grace, who I think just may be my oldest RevGals friend, and whose graciousness and good humor permeate Presby-land online and in real life.

PresbyGal, who does, all the time as far as I can tell, exude the warmth and kindness that a friendship award is all about, along with wit, talent, and energy.

Stratoz, who makes beautiful stained glass and sees his whole life as pieces merging into a work of art.

And Michelle of Quantum Theology ~ off on a retreat for now, but still posting some of the most elegant writing to be found online.

OK, that's nine ~ so what? ~ if any of y'all want to nominate eight MORE, go for it!


10 comments:

Joan Calvin said...

Thank you. I have enjoyed having you as a friend. I'm looking forward to another coffee date next time I'm up your way.

Lori said...

Well thank you very much!!

I must admit that I do not "exude" when I sleep. Unless snoring counts!

And I have to say that with everything you have been going through, your continued contact, sharing and support throughout have been the sweetest blessing of friendship I can imagine.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Congrats on your award.

Stratoz said...

I am in awe of how things in my life unfold. Sometimes it feels mighty good.

sunflowerkat said...

This recognition from you brought tears to my eyes. Having found you and and the few others with whom I feel a true connection, is what has made blogging worthwhile to me.

Thank you for your friendship.

Jody Harrington said...

Oh, dear GG, thank you for your kind words and your friendship. I think and pray for you often.

Judith HeartSong said...

I feel I have known you forever now. Thank you so much for your kindness and grace in the midst of life's challenges and sorrows. You are a beacon and inspiration.

I am so lucky to know you.

Judith HeartSong said...

I feel I have known you forever now. Thank you so much for your kindness and grace in the midst of life's challenges and sorrows. You are a beacon and inspiration.

I am so lucky to know you.

Mary Beth said...

Just came by to say hi today! Love your awardees...some of them I do not yet know and thank you for the new intros!

Deb said...

Naw
I think you picked some pretty good folks.

still praying...
d