Saturday, August 15, 2009

Colors, Part The First

Quotidian Grace's daughter, known by the nom-de-plum Portia, has a fabulous blog ~ here. Like the me of long ago, Portia has begun her professional life as a corporate attorney; unlike me, she has a flair for design and style. And she put together a great post in response to a color and personality quiz in the current issue of House Beautiful, a post which I, functioning completely out of character these days, decided to emulate.

I don't recommend this as a pastime unless you have at least a full hour or more to spare. However, if you are, for whatever reason, struggling to regain your footing after a life event that has stomped your former identity into oblivion, and if you are a tiny bit into the recovery phase, this little quiz actually has a very therapeutic effect. I'll have some more to say about it in a future post but for now, just for fun:

1. What color do you see when you wake up? WHITE ~ but not quite like this!



2. What color are your eyes? Dark BROWN ~ and I do find brown interiors reassuring.




3. What color do you wear most? BLACK, but seeing it in interior design form has me re-thinking that.




4. What color do you never wear? ORANGE ~ my Woodstock prom (see below) was a different era and a different me.




5. What color do you wear when you want to feel sexy? Who knew that you could google COBALT BLUE dresses and there it would be? Kind of Mad Men, don't you think?




6. What color gets you the most compliments? Jewel tones, usually BLUES and now some PURPLES.




7. What color is your lipstick? Generally in the PLUM range. I was thinking that there was little connection between my lips and my house, and then I found this plum-blosson rug design.




8. What color was your living room when you were growing up? Hardly so elegant, but ICY BLUE.




9. What color was your bedroom when you were growing up? PASTEL JUNGLE ANIMALS. I adored my wallpaper, and this furniture would have been a perfect match.



10. What color are your sheets? No consistency in my cupboard, but BLUE-AND-WHITE are by far the favorites.




11. What color was you favorite crayon as a child? BLUE-GREEN. In the process of putting this together, I learned here that Bondi Blue is a color, identical to Crayola's Blue-Green, and is the color of an Apple Computer named for the color of the water at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia.


12. What color is your car? CRIMSON. My own little midlife statement.




13. What color was your prom dress? ORANGEY-BROWNY-YELLOWY? Think 1971, India Imports dresses: Northampton Massachusetts.




14. What's your favorite gemstone? OPAL. A glassy and shiny version of the ocean's colors.





15. What is your favorite flower? TULIPS. Multicolor possibilities, from richly deep blacks to the palest whites, raucous reds and yellows to the most exquisite pinks and oranges. Delicate but tough and much too short-lived.




16. What color makes you happiest? YELLOW. It practically shouts summer, warmth, family, friendliness.




17. What color depresses you? RUST. What could there possibly be to say about it?




18. What color calms you? I'd call it SEA GREEN,an almost indefinable color that the ocean sometimes rolls out.




19. What color makes you grind your teeth? MAROON, which I used to love and which, I am sorry to say, is the color of the slipcover hiding the million sins of our [dog's] couch. These days it makes me think of a set for Bleak House.




20. What color would you like to try, but are scared to? VIOLET, which is totally not me and puts me in mind of my grandmother, but has a certain soothing quality to it and might be a nice accent for those icy blues and grays.

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Actually, I saw this just earlier this a.m. and meant to comment but got called away from the computer. I wanted to say how much I loved your responses, both the words and pics. BTW, is that you in the orange dress? Looks like a fashion photo!!

Mich

Gannet Girl said...

LOL the orange dress is from a google color search.

Daisy said...

LOL, 'cause I was gonna say that you were quite the "hot little momma", as they say, back in the day.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I think this is fascinating. (I've just been too swamped to comment promptly.)

I love, love, love color. Our wardrobe choices are quite radically different. I look best in peach, coral, turquoise, spring green, tomato red, golden brown, . . . and yes, orange, as long as it is a pure orange, not a burnt orange.

One of the banes of my life is the fact that my husband prefers off-white walls throughout the house. My home office is sky blue and covered in a multitude of art prints.

Oh, one point of commonality is a love of the blue-green crayon. I'm generally drawn to tertiary colors. I wonder what that says about me?

Quotidian Grace said...

I'm awed by your reflections and inspired to sit down and do this myself.

I'll try to do it Friday when I'll be awaiting deliveries for Portia at her house while she's at work!

I'm also forwarding these two posts to her so she can see them, too. You two really do have a lot in common.

Averill said...

I'm so glad you did this! I think it's so interesting to read about what colors people are drawn to/repulsed by, if only because everyone's answers are so different!

Love the plum rug by the way.